Great feedback. Here's the model that I've been envisioning:

- I have foo.com and foo.com/api
- foo.com serves up my UI and needs to be super-fast
- foo.com/api serves up non-realtime API requests
- both route to a separate App Engine app
- foo.com has max pending latency of 200ms, and several idle instances
- foo.com/api has a max pending latency of 10s
- Each app is part of a larger "system" that is configurable within the
Admin Console
- Being part of a larger "system" sets up the correct ACLs between apps and
services (e.g. each app is able talk to the same Datastore)

A couple of notes:
- There needs to be a simple way of routing requests. Routing foo.com to
the "system", and configuring paths that map to apps (e.g. /api routes to
api.foo.appspot.com under the covers is one suggestion)
- Configurable Memcache that can be shared by each app would be nice, still
iterating on this one
- Expose a few more Backend properties to Frontends, and one could imagine
Backends and Frontends merging under this model
- Is there "system" billing and per-app billing?

-- Chris