Hi,
  You've got a lot of info there.  I tried to skim it, but might have
missed some stuff.

  In your experiments with multiple backends, they are all the same
"backend" right?  You're not targeting specific instances are you?  In
other words, is everything targeted at "thebackend," "1.thebackend,"
or multiple different backends?

  Do you see pending latencies in the request log headers?  That's
where the failfast header should help.  Rather than dispatch the task,
then wait for an instance to handle it, it will immediately get
returned to the queue.  I don't think it is intended to prevent
instances from being spun up.

  What happens if instead of backends you use front ends plus a
max_concurrent_requests equal to the number of backends you were
wanting?  Does it change the behavior you're seeing?

  You does the latency of the request itself impact what you're
seeing?  If you do a lot more work in each request does the situation
improve?

Robert