The tasks are not run transactionally, and in my testing the task is the
only one in queue. In fact, I also ran the tests *somewhat* successfully on
a separate app where this was the only code running. I say somewhat
because, as I stated in my original post, the 20-second delays didn't
happen every time; more like once every four requests. But when they did
occur, it was almost precisely 20 seconds.

Below is the entirety of my handler:

class AdhocHandler2(webapp.RequestHandler):
def get(self):
task_create_time = datetime.datetime.now()
import string
task_create_time_s = task_create_time.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") + "." +
string.zfill(task_create_time.microsecond, 6)
t = taskqueue.Task(url='/batch/adhoc', params={'task_create_time':
task_create_time_s}, target='overnight-external-data',
method='GET')
t.add(queue_name = 'overnight-tasks')