We are Python 2.5 (no concurrent).

Yes, it seems the start-up time is just crazy high for at least some or all
instances.

I also noticed that there are lot's of instances that served just 1 request
and have average latency 0ms and have QPS=0 average instance age about 8-9
minutes (up to 11 minutes). For me it seems like an instance is created to
serve static content and not used anymore and stays here until it die in a
while.

At the moment we have 264 active instances and it's killing our budget :( -
see the screenshot attached. We had 2 hours downtime due to exceeded budget.

Alex

On Friday, 9 March 2012 15:57:27 UTC-4, Ikai Lan wrote:

> Alex, to answer that question: yes. We are looking to revamp the
> production issues tracker which is far from optimal. When users can join or
> aggregate issues, it allows us to quickly separate actual infrastructure
> hiccups from user code issues.
>
> Thanks for the info! Is there any other behavior you can report? Does it
> sound reasonable that you have 110-160 instances because of long startup
> teams leading to more instances required to serve the same load? Are you
> Python, Java or Go, and do you have concurrent requests enabled?
>
> --
> Ikai Lan
> Developer Programs Engineer, Google App Engine
> plus.ikailan.com
>

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Alexander Trakhimenok <
> alexander.trakhime...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Ikai,
>>
>> Our app id: petaclasses
>>
>> QPS: 5-20 requests per second
>>
>> Current instances in dashboard: 110 - 160
>> Usual instances: 8-15
>>
>> It's hard to say % of failed requests as we have also request that fail
>> for other reasons (e.g. non existing pages, etc) and not sure how easily
>> separate them.
>>
>> By the way, are you guys considering to create a page where we can
>> post/report this data in some structured way and "join" an issue so you can
>> accumulate and understand the scale of an issue easily.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> On Friday, 9 March 2012 15:15:35 UTC-4, Ikai Lan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey everyone,
>>>
>>> Here are a few things that will help:
>>>
>>> 1. Application IDs (<--- if you have nothing else, at least provide this)
>>> 2. What is your QPS?