We've been working on addressing the issues with HRD apps.  Your experience
is probably a coincidence.

There is a very small section of apps that will have a few requests (very
small %) that will be a LOT slower.

We've scheduled a maintenance period for March 19th that will attempt to
address issues with master/slave. You can read more about it here (scroll
to the bottom for the correct time):

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/google-appengine-downtime-notify/CO_x02OF9Ak

In general, everyone should try to migrate your application to High
Replication when they can because we have a much higher speed of iteration
when implementing different fixes for production issues (I have an earlier
post about why this matters - we can make almost any production changes we
want to HR apps without causing app downtime). At this point, I would not
even create development or staging applications using master/slave because
some behaviors (eventually consistency on global queries without an entity
group root) differ between master/slave and high replication.

--
Ikai Lan
plus.ikailan.com