A proxy server is a computer that you configure your browser to tunnel HTTP
requests through. It does not change the content it is forwarding. It will
often cache requests. Proxy servers are within the DMCA "safe harbor"
provisions, because they don't change anything.

A web site that reproduces another site is not a proxy server. It's something
else.  A cache, perhaps? Under 512(b)2A, a cache is only a safe harbor if it
passes data "without modification to its content". What does that mean,
exactly? Well one judge decided google cache was OK, but didn't explain why.
IMHO, I think the judge played a little fast and loose with the law, because
the way it is written, what google does is really not OK.

You can read more about these issues here:
http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2007/01/16/debunking-the-dmca-caching-loophole/