I think you are missing my point. Using the Task Queue incurs a very real
resource cost to Google, which we don't currently pay for. Granted, that is
true of many other services as well, and only Google knows how all the
pricing incentives and resource utilization pieces fit together to ensure
profitability.

However, I would guess that the Task Queue is backed by Big Table and thus
has similar characteristics to datastore access (although it may be highly
optimized). This makes me wonder if they are creating an unbalanced
situation that they will ultimately have to correct, just like they did
with the major pricing shift last year. I am surprised no one else is
concerned about it given that history, but I suppose there is nothing we
can do about it anway.