Options I can think of:
1) Using a bigger instance. You said it had some effect on startup
time?  Rather pay more while you figure it out. Also, it might kick
you off any hot instances, if you don't fit on there anymore.
2) Seeing if you can log which specific parts of the startup is
slowing it down. Print stuff out using static initialisers if you have
to.
3) Pay the $500pm for premier support, if there's some way to do that
temporarily.  Not sure whether you can afford to run it indefinitely,
but it sounds like this is costing you more than that at this point.
This is the most distasteful option, like paying tax for knowing how
to make your app start.

What are the differences between your sandbox and prod?  Just users,
or data as well?