Hi Will,

I also tried bundling (most [1]) jars into one but it didn't seem to move
the needle at all, once classes were jarred.  I did perceive a lower
initial-RAM level - I think it was about 4 or 5 megs lower but I didn't
test that too carefully.  Is your load-time difference compared to unjarred
classes, or to multiple jars only?

I did think to try bundling only the jars my app would need on startup, to
reduce the overall initial load.  Does Java have to inspect the contents of
all jar files to figure out where required classes are?

Richard

[1] GAE deployment complained my 1-jar solution was too big, so I wrote an
ant task to jar-up only the jars below a certain size and leaving very few
bigger ones. Went from 50+ to about 8. But again, no perceived load-time
improvement once the classes were jarred.