On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Sarang <sar...@mycontactid.net> wrote:
> Thanks Barry. That is indeed what we have done so far. But this scenario is
> different and we need to make the update.
>
> For what you are suggesting, we have to change the code in many different
> locations to catch the missing property and update. In some of these places,
> we may not be even in a position to make the update! Another problem could
> be that if I am accessing 100s of elements, and I have to update them all,
> it could lead to slow response for the activity and may even exceed 60s
> limit.

No. You only 'update' the the entity, when you would be writing it anyway.

> Also, if we are not re-writing those elements inside our code, then we will
> have to bear the same cost as with my method? You are assuming we will write
> the element anyway and hence defray the cost.

Exactly. You only do it when you are writing anyway.

> Bottom line is, even if we had to write those 1600 numbers, why should it
> cost 5.8 million OPs? If we signup 1600 users in a day, each with one entry
> in the DB, then we'll use up all our quota!

Your 5.8M was READ operations anyway. It wasnt't the writing that cost as such.

The other thing, it might even be a red-herring that the the bulk
update was the issue. Looking at your screenshot, you had a much
higher request rate for the prev 3 hours.

So maybe all those extra requests where the culprit, and used all your quota.

Did you look what those requests did?