On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM, johnP <j...@thinkwave.com> wrote:
> We are using a CName aliased to  ghs.google.com

just to be clear, ghs.google.com is not the VIP CNAME - it is the
shared CNAME which only supports SNI.

VIP CNAMEs are of the form: ghs-svc-https-cXXXX.ghs-ssl.googlehosted.com.

the two services have different network architectures.

> The expiration time on the record is 15 minutes.
>
> The naked-domain was an error introduced in my wording of the question.  The
> user (from two locations, from school and from home, in West Virginia) is
> properly using the www subdomain in the request. In any case, we forward the
> naked domains at a DNS level.
>
> We initiated SSL on Monday night/Tuesday morning.  There was a flurry of
> users from that same area in West Virginia having this issue.  We have no
> reports of other users having the issue.  So I was thinking there might be
> an ISP that has not refreshed the DNS cache.

Is it possible that your users are using web browsers which do not
support SNI? (for example MSIE on Windows XP).

If you're paying for a VIP, you will have better compatibility if you
use your personal ghs-svc-https-cXXXX.ghs-ssl.googlehosted.com CNAME
shown in the CPanel.

--Iain