> This isn't a counterexample, for the reason that you mentioned in the
> first sentence: you can serve everything off one instance. The
> original poster needs multiple instances, and to be able to scale as
> load changes. If you're not loading new instances, then startup time
> is pretty much irrelevant; you can start an instance once, then your
> users will never see a cold instance. This entire discussion is about
> cold instances.

To clarify,  we need more than one instance during peak hours, but our
overall billing is limited to 1 instance because night time traffic is
literally zero. We have seen > 2 instances without user facing loading
request during peak hours. Our analysis was that when pending latency comes
into picture, the behavior is more predictable. While the pending queue is
getting filled up, new instance is started without user facing request as
we have specified 7 second as the pending latency. By the time previous
request is served, pending request goes to the hot instance. A lot of
depends on your traffic pattern and time taken to handle the request
though.

Atleast for us the overall goal was - how do we achieve < 500 ms latency
for our users for the traffic, with auto scaling, without repeated loading
requests, without escalation in costs. We seemed to have achieved that,
hence the post and as a counter example to our friend  who decided to go
off appengine to AWS.

Prashant