I sympathize with your situation, but how many more threads on this do you
need?  It's actually harder to help you if the answers to your questions
are so spread out; people are going to forget what has been proposed and
tried already.

I still think the most likely solution is for you to have a filtering proxy
server in front of GAE that has a fixed cost, so that GAE doesn't bill you
for the DDOS requests.  If CloudFlare doesn't work then I think a simple
node.js proxy would do the trick, and you could probably host it on a VM
somewhere for around $10-15 a month.  If you're not prepared to write that
proxy yourself, you could probably hire someone to do it; the hourly rate
might be high, but I doubt it would take an experienced developer very long
at all to do.  I'm tempted to do it myself but I have other obligations
that would get in the way.

- Kris