I received an answer from planet-lab.

Hi Kathleen,

Apologies for not resolving this sooner.

We believe we found a likely source behind the traffic you've been
referring to. As you may know, PlanetLab is a distributed systems
research test bed with 1000+ machines world wide. These machines may
share access to both research, local and public Internet. These
services are actively managed by researchers granted access to
PlanetLab accounts.

Since your site is hosted by Google, the IP addresses that you use are
not unique to you, but are shared among many Google hosted services.
Many experiments on PlanetLab nodes sent significant volume of
legitimate traffic to these IP addresses and finding the subset of
this traffic that corresponds to your service is a bit more involved.

We have however identified a likely experiment that is responsible, it
is ucr_web slice, run by researchers at University of California,
Riverside, who are cc'ed on this email. The researchers provide a
description of their work as:

"""
This slice is being used to perform measurements to detect outages on
paths on which traffic is served from PlanetLab. We passively observe
traffic outgoing from PlanetLab to see which prefixes are receiving
TCP traffic from PlanetLab, and then use a combination of passive
monitoring and active probing to detect outages on paths to these
prefixes.<br>We ensure that we only send active probes to prefixes
that receive traffic from PlanetLab, and we probe every prefix at most
once every 5 minutes if the prefix is reachable and at most three
times in a 5 minute period if we do not receive responses to our
probes.'