Hi,

since two years I’m running a blog at GAE focusing the Arctic and as an
unique feature a Google Map with daily high resolution Arctic satellite
images from NASA was included. The NASA images need to be tiled, cached and
served and this process runs on GAE, too.

Usually interest is low during dark Arctic Winter and rises in September
the time sea ice reaches its minimum extent. No problem so far with the
free quota on outgoing bandwidth.

This year is different: Latest Arctic storm reduced sea ice extent by a
million square kilometers in a week and public interest was so high free
quota was exhausted 5 hours after reset.

Now - end of August - it is absolutely clear that this year will or has
already broke all records in terms of sea ice minimum and makes a major
step direction ice free-ness. When in a few years the Arctic lacks sea ice
completely in September, it will change weather pattern all over the
northern hemisphere - one explanation of accelerating public interests.

I’d like to mention the project is ad free and totally beyond any economic
interests. All I want is to keep it running and give everybody on the
planet the chance to see with his own eyes how dramatic the situation in
the Arctic is. True color satellite images are free of interpretation and
do not lead to discussions whether there is sea ice or not.

Here is the thing: If I enable billing to satisfy the need for pure
information I’m bankrupt next month. If not 99% of the users are going to
see nothing, get frustrated and possibly never come back.

So my best option is to close the site now.

What do you think?

-- Torsten