I would perhaps suggest trying a linux Amazon Micro instance sitting
in front. Just a basic install of varnish should do the trick*
http://harish11g.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/varnish-page-cache-aws-configure.html
(and make sure your application is serving headers that allow caching)

Can get it free for a year:
http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Although you do only get 15 GB of outgoing bandwidth free. After than
it is $0.120 per GB - pay as go, no minimum fee.

 But that might be enough to tie you over for a few weeks.

I dont know of a provider that gives you unlimited bandwidth for free.
If they do, its probably really bad (slow/unreliable), so as to be not
worth the bother.
Can get a reasonable VPS tho, for about $15 a month. Some offer
generous bandwidth allowances.

But if you going to be paying about $15 a month, may as well pay that
for appengine directly, its also 0.12/Gb. Your $9 a month minimum
gives you 75Gb a month.

* If one instance struggles with the load, can also get a free windows
instance. And an elastic load balancer, but the configuration is
getting much more complicated then.