The big question for me is where are you serving these images from?
If you are serving them directly from NASA servers or from an alternative
source then you would most likely see very little traffic as most of it
will be just URI's pointing to the images. There are a lot of hosting
companies out there that claim to deliver unlimited bandwidth (not true I
am sure, but worth giving it a shot). GAE seems to have been purely at
delivering functionality actual content should be served from other
locations if you want to keep bill within reason.

If you are already showing people the images from an location other then
GAE you will have to choose to limit the amount of data people can consume
(only a static image no zooming, panning or any other fancy stuff)
informing visitors that you are unable to afford this functionality due to
the high bandwidth demands. If that still won't do it you could attempt to
find some company willing to sponsor your efforts, unfortunately the nature
of GAE means that portability is not to great so moving to an alternative
host will be difficult at best.

I have seen many projects that got sponsorship from companies
or government organisations to allow them to continue to provide the unique
information to viewers.