This error has been striking again, and our customers had the impression
the site was down for about two hours. Our customers are complaining and I
am really unhappy about this too. I've raised an issue on the tracker
(http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=8233).

I know that it's impossible to build an error-free system, and I applauded
the most recent 1.7.2 release for all the bugfixes it contained. But
several hours of database problems, for the fourth time in about one week,
is starting to hurt. I'd like to urge you to continue down the path of
fixing bugs above all. Reliability and availability are the only concerns I
have about App Engine. I'm entirely satisfied with the existing feature
set, and happy to integrate external services (e.g. for email sending) when
reaching limitations of app engine. But reliability of the core service and
database cannot be outsourced, and having to write post mortems (or
reimbursing clients that are affected) more than once every few months is
not an option.

Cheers,
Per