I use mailgun with GAE... it works with local development environment and
deployed production environment.  Their support is awesome and the web
service is lightning fast.  I moved to mailgun because my app requires more
flexibility than what the native GAE email capabilities provide
(specifically I needed additional sender capability).  The other mail
service I'd consider is http://postmarkapp.com/ which now also offers an
inbound email web service (they can invoke your HTTP handler) similar to
mailgun.  I still prefer mailgun though.  Many other email services are
purely geared towards outbound mail and limit inbound to mail protocols
such as pop, imap, etc... vs calling an http handler asynchronously.