Hi Emanuele,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Emanuele Ziglioli <
theb...@emanueleziglioli.it> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> have been following this group for months but can't recall reading
> anything related to this: currently the instance size is one big knob while
> it'd be useful to be able to select a different instance size at runtime.
> Our web site is perfectly served by F1 instances but it runs out of memory
> of some task queues when iterating over a large number of instances. For
> that reason only we have to run F2 instances at higher costs.
> The type of work we run in task queues really suits MapReduce but the java
> version has been broken for us for many months now.
> Would it be difficult to add a parameter when posting to a task queue to
> request for a larger instance?
> I don't really want to use backends given their bad rep.

We're working on this. Please see the last part of 'Optimizing Your Google
App Engine App' session in Google I/O 2012:
https://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/gooio2012/310/
Please see App Engine Servers section of the presentation.

> Similarly, giving people more choice with regards to what instances to
> start and when could perhaps solve a large set of problems that people have
> been complaining about.
> If you can't modify the scheduler to suit all possible needs (I can
> understand it's an impossible goal), just give the ability to write our own
> schedulers. At the end of the day we pay for what we use and the that usage
> is capped by the daily budget anyway.

Can you star this issue?
https://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=5755

-- Takashi