Hi Emanuele,
We had the exact same need for f1 frontend and larger instances for some
tasks.  We solved it using larger backends combined with task queues.  When
you enqueue you can provide the target which would be used to run the task
or you can configure a task queue to only run on a specific target.  If you
have tasks generated from a backend you can enqueue back onto a frontend
using the constant: taskqueue.DEFAULT_APP_VERSION.

We cut our instance costs by 50% with this approach (f2 -> f1).  There were
issues getting it to work on the dev server (naming issue) but it's pretty
simple on app engine.

Andy