On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Julian Kent <jkfly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the relevant code between those two logging points:
>
>                 client = memcache.Client()
>                 if len(botsdict) > 0:
>                     splitlist = dict_split(botsdict,32)

What does the variable *botsdict* represent? Based on the naming and
function calls, I assume that it's a dictionary, but what type of objects
is it containing? Is it possible that the contained objects are doing some
kind of processing on their own?

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Julian Kent <jkfly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see how 18 set_multi_async calls can take 5h23m. Can the logs be
> trusted here? Could it be that the actual code is finished but somehow the
> exit never registered and the logging was the problem?

Install appstats (
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/appstats ) into
your application, you'll be able to see how the memcache calls execute and
at what time. From there we can narrow down the list of problems.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Julian Kent <jkfly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013-08-05 15:23:33.962 /BatchRankings 500 19413478ms 0kb instance=0
> AppEngine-Google; (+http://code.google.com/appengine)
>
> I 2013-08-05 10:00:04.118
> mem usage at start of meleerumble: 24.55078125MB
>
> ... lots more logs ...
>
> I 2013-08-05 10:01:03.549
> mem usage after zipping: 157.08984375MB

How much memory in memcache are you using? If you're only using ~200 MB, it
might be easier to simply store it within the backend's memory and
not memcache (if you're hungry for memory you can use the B4_1G backend
size, which gives you 1GB of memory and the same processor size as a
regular B4).