On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Julian Kent <jkfly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the appstats, further down I'm seeing memcache.Set() entries with times
> such as "real=8831941ms", which is clearly where it is hanging. Personally,
> I don't consider 8000 seconds, that is over 2 hours, reasonable latency in
> a single memcache Set() call ;-)

Hi Julian,

Yes, 2 hours is definitely not reasonable latency for a single call!

I think your code is fine - as you said only 20% of your runs are failing
in this manner, which means that 80% of the time it's working fine. I think
GAE is just occasionally having difficulty storing so much data
simultaneously into memcache. It's like when kids come home from Halloween
with bulging bags of candy - they try to eat it all at once and then they
get sick!

Try giving GAE some extra time between memcache *sets* to process all of
the incoming data. In your code, I see you put in *time.sleep(0.1)* just
after the *set* call. Try increasing that to 5-10 seconds. If that doesn't
work, increase it a bit more. Also try making more *set* calls - you said
in an earlier email that you're making 18 *set_multi_async* calls - try
upping that to 30 - 32 calls, with each call storing roughly the same
amount of data. Lastly, try the new dedicated memcache feature (
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/memcache ). It
seems to be more reliable, faster, and simply provides a better experience
overall.