Nick, that advice is outdated with latest WTP support while using maven
projects imported with m2eclipse.

You can no longer enable 'use appengine' in the preferences. That will really
mess things up.

Even worse is that you also can't edit the run configs. They get reset to
whatever the WTP support wants for things.

The fix I've hacked in so far is to set that system property in my
appenengine-web.xml. It seems to do the trick.

Why the API still defaults to master/slave when that is deprecated
functionality for many moons now is beyond my comprehension.

Jon