So based on a running cost less than 3% of revenue, then this app is REALLY
REALLY REALLY cheap.

I don't have true pageviews because as I said its 80% ajax transactions, so
new template rendering etc.... so not a comparable measure.  But just to
please you on a typical day there is around 2200 pageviews , but between 5
and 10 times that in terms of ajax transactions (which aren't monitored by
analytics), but to be honest it's not something I really monitor closely as
it not particularly important.

Unless you compare features of a service, meeting a minimal base line for
comparison any comparison is meaningless. You know apples and oranges.

I run another site that derives absolutely no direct revenue, it is their
solely to get get people to visit a bricks and motor shop, and the $2 a day
that is costing
is very cheap as all the advertising we run is Adwords (adwords is
expensive) and the site running costs.  Yes I could run it on Digital Ocean
or AWS small instance for probably cheaper, but then I have to look after
infrastructure webstack/database, I do not have the time or inclination to
do that.  So my measure of cheap is completely different to yours.
I certainly don't measure the cost or quality of the service or the value
of the outcomes in terms of pageviews per dollar  (at least not directly)

So I am not really going to bother with this discussion any more, in your
opinion GAE  is not cheap, in my opinion by all the metrics that I am
interested and the applications I run/develop on appengine it is. Does this
mean I would run all new projects on appengine - absolutely not, I would
pick the best (as much as I could) tool for the job.