Thanks for the reply — that’s the lag I’m seeing, correct. However, I log
around that pickling step to get time stamps and it looks like the step only
takes ~20ms to do:

    logging.debug("To get to index search took %s
seconds"%(time.time()-start_time))

    search_results_pickle = jsonpickle.encode(results, unpicklable=False)

    logging.debug("To get to pickling took %s seconds"%(time.time()-start_time))
start_time is from the beginning of the post(self) function and all time stamps
are calculated from that. On a sample run, these are my time stamps:

D 2014-07-22 14:29:24.732 To get to index search took 0.620759963989 seconds
D 2014-07-22 14:29:24.749 To get to pickling took 0.637880086899 seconds
So subtracting those two numbers gets something like ~17ms. The data I’m
pickling is ~10kb.