On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 6:00 AM, Adrian Randall <adrianj.rand...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reply — that’s the lag I’m seeing, correct. However, I log
> around that pickling step to get time stamps and it looks like the step
> only takes ~20ms to do:

I wouldn't trust the log data so quickly if I were you. Looking at your SO
post, the last log line (which is just before the return statement) says *To
get to writing output HTML took 0.725300073624 seconds*, which means the
request should be taking roughly that amount of time (slightly more than
that to account for cleanup duties). But AppStats claims the request
actually took 1867 ms, which is a huge difference. Your first hypothesis is
accurate: it looks almost as if there was a pause in execution during
runtime, but your application itself didn't even recognize/experience the
time difference.

I would still stand by my original recommendation: try rerunning the index
search operation and limiting it to only 5, 10, then 20 results and see if
it makes a difference. If you see no difference, drop it down to a limit of
1 and retry. The reason I'm recommending this is that I think you're
hitting a throttle somewhere, and I want to find the point where the
throttle kicks in. There are a few other possible causes (mostly
extraordinary situations such as machine failure, or periodic instance
startup/shutdown) but I think this is the most probable.

wrote:

>   The data I’m pickling is ~10kb.

Is that pre-pickle or post-pickle?