Hi Patrick,

My best guess is that when you uploaded the new version of the site, you
didn't update the "default version" in the "Compute > App Engine >
Versions" interface, so the old version was still the default. When GAE
receives a request to a subdomain and you've set up a wildcard subdomain
mapping, it will check if the version/module exists. If it doesn't, it will
route to the default version/module.

However, it's unclear to me what relation this might have to explicitly
defining the subdomain, since it seems as though that would simply mean
that your default version/module would be served from
subdomain.domain.com...

Overall, since your issue is fixed, I wouldn't worry and consider this a
strange edge case of the Custom Domains transition from Apps to Developers
Console.

If anybody in future is able to observe similar behaviour and hasn't yet
implemented the "fix", and by good luck lands in this thread, I'd advise
them to open a public issue tracker issue
<http://code.google.com/p/google-appengine/issues/list> and attempt to get
the issue looked into by Support Engineers while it is still "live".

At any rate, best wishes for developing your app,

-- Nick

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/3b35a027-4e9a-4d34-837c-4c0a184bed9e%40googlegroups.com.