+1 - Extremely fast on OSX - Although I had an SSD before I switched to
OSX, the Macbook SSD was 5 times faster, so that might be at play too

In general tho, the SDK was on the extremely slow side, especially on
Windows, on OSX tho, it's pretty much like a regular server, only the first
boot-up takes 5-15 seconds, as my sqlite database is reaching 300mb's after
years
(Tho no signs of slowing down, on Windows I used to observe a proportional
slowing as the sqlite grew)

As a side-note, I'm using the dev_appserver from command line

Minor suggestions:
1) Check whether your sqlite is too large
2) Manually delete your logs sqlite (It's a separate one, likely not used,
but it's there to gain size and store all your logging messages)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/9c032a39-6b8c-4de5-97fd-bced4e2f4d6b%40googlegroups.com.