Thanks for the response Adam.  I'm actually gonna transfer my domain away
from GoDaddy altogether...I just initiated the domain transfer this morning
so it will be a few days before it's completed.  I still have no idea why
their UI said I had added the TXT record successfully, but it didn't stick
for whatever reason.  Even so, I'm not sure why I'd actually need that TXT
record.  I bought the domain through Google (which used GoDaddy as the
registrar) and I don't remember needing to do anything further to verify
the domain when I set up my app (and I'm not using SSL).  That being said,
I set this up over 5 years ago I think so I might be forgetting something.

Ignoring DNS for the moment, the 404s are puzzling, and I couldn't find any
log messages in the Google Cloud Log Viewer that tipped me off as to why
they suddenly started.  Everything worked fine locally when running with
dev_appserver.py.  My best guess was that something recently got deprecated
that I was using, so I decided to try to update my app to more modern
libraries (my app was still using Python 2.5).  I'm now down the rabbit
hole of actually trying to upgrade everything to see if that fixes things.
 I'm also adding extra logging to my app to see if I can figure out where
the 404 gets triggered.

Not sure if you have the ability to look, but is there likely a good way to
figure out what's causing the 404s other than just adding extensive
logging?  The app-engine console shows me nothing useful that I can find
other than the graph of 404s, and like I said everything works locally.  I
tried curling as well to see if you send back any debug headers but didn't
see anything.

Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/fb7143e1-2975-4dd8-b9eb-57af76c83e76%40googlegroups.com.