Hi guys,

A few months back, I had a similar reflexion on current trends regarding
AppEngine, which I called "the end of paas", which could be called "end of
serverless" in a way

https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!search/paas|sort:date/google-appengine/DHMMv5r8qjU/A-VO3PXPDwAJ

It's not very long, so I paste it here, since it is quite similar to what
is being said here.

It seems most of the services that made AppEngine a proper Platorm as a
Service are now scheduled to be shut down, and users are advised to
migrate.   Migrate search to ElasticSearch, migrate memcache to Redis, and
maybe at some point we'll be asked to migrate Ndb to MongoDB and GCS to
whatever.   I'm not complaining about the way the process is handled
actually, there is enough time to consider the options and work on a
migration scenario, there is no imminent deadline, at least for the
moment.   But I'm wondering what went wrong with the PaaS approach, and is
it officially dead.

Is this the end of GAE as a PaaS ?   I truly believed PaaS was the future
of cloud architectures:  stop thinking in terms of servers, start thinking
in terms of services.   When I started working with AppEngine, I dreamed of
CPU as a service, with no server granularity, and I was disappointed to
find I still had to worry about servers, starting up a new server instance,
choosing what type of instance would be best, a scaling strategy, etc.   I
was expecting servers as a service, i.e. serving my requests without me
ever thinking in terms of servers.   But at least there was Ndb, search,
memcache, GCS and a few more.

Now it seems all of these are on their way out, which makes me wonder: was
there something wrong with the concept of PaaS itself, or is it just that
these products didn't gain traction, and are now too costly to maintain
with regards to their user base ?   Actually, the one thing that was wrong
with Paas from the very beginning was that it would lock a project into a
given cloud.   That was a risk to be reckoned for users, but it could have
been seen as a feature for the cloud provider.   Now is it for this reason
that the mentionned services didn't make it ?  Because users would have
been wary of being locked in, and for that reason would prefer to use
leading products deployed on leased servers ?    One thing is for sure:
once an application has migrated to more standard services, it will not be
tied to GCP anymore.

There was a major benefit to the PaaS concept:  it was very cheap for
startups.   Deploying ElasticSearch on a the smallest possible cluster will
start at around $200 a month, while the search usage of a small application
could cost less than $10.   Same for the shared memcache service offered by
AppEngine.   Now you are having to pay for running servers all night with
very little transactions to handle.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this matter ?