We use the java11 runtime and F1 instances, spring boot 2.2.5 and didn't
experience the following issues with other apps deployed on GAE.

When trying to perform an outbound (POST) request we end up with an
SocketTimeoutException:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
org.springframework.web.client.ResourceAccessException: I/O error on POST
request for "https://xyz.tld/": connect timed out; nested exception is
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
    at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
~[na:na]
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:205)
~[na:na]
    at a.b.c.service.AddressService.get(AddressService.java:63)
~[classes!/:0-0-4]
    at
a.b.c.rest.AddressRequestsController.d(AddressRequestsController.java:73)
~[classes!/:0-0-4]
    at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method) ~[na:na]
    at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

~[na:na]
    at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

~[na:na]
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566) ~[na:na]
    at
org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.doInvoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:190)

~[spring-web-5.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:5.2.4.RELEASE]
    at
org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:138)

~[spring-web-5.2.4.RELEASE.jar!/:5.2.4.RELEASE]

There's nothing fancy about resttemplate:

restTemplate = new RestTemplateBuilder()
    .setConnectTimeout(Duration.ofMillis(CONNECT_TIMEOUT))
    .setReadTimeout(Duration.ofMillis(READ_TIMEOUT))
    .build();

restTemplate.postForEntity(searchUrl, request, String.class);

With timeouts of 5 and 8 seconds.
Runs fine locally and the other end is alive and responsive.

Any ideas what's going wrong?