Not sure about the intention of your question.

Infowindows do constist of many many divs. Sould not matter very much
when you create a further div that contains your content.

I'd suggest to have a look at the DOM structure of infowindows using
Firebug. There you can also see the results when certain divs are
removed.

Why do you want to remove the infowindow after it's being used? The
Maps API is not designed to do that. I think you should let the API do
it's own job unless you detect that it does it's job extremly
inefficient.

Even in this case you should be aware: Manipulating the DOM
subsequently and from outside is probably inefficient anyway.

So it's generally no good idea to change the DOM created by the API.
If you detected a bug or a reproducable memory leak,  why don't you
report that?