as far as I am aware, the recommended procedure is to create one
infowindow and change its content and position with setContent and
setPosition (unless you want multiple infowindows showing
simultaneously).

from what I can tell, overriding an infowindow's contents removes the
previous contents from the DOM. But it means that once set, there will
always be one lot of contents in the DOM. It would have to be a very
large contents for it to make any real difference on most computers,
though.

dunno if that's relevant, but I thought I might mention it.