On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 09:48:02AM +0700, Joe Developer wrote:
> Really? Generally considered illegal? I would appreciate a link that
> documents such a finding. I would imagine that google search results would
> be fairly sparsely populated if they could only include those pages that
> include explicit permission for google to scrape.

My understanding is that it is a grey area of law, and you are likely to get
different answers depending on country, what you are scrapping, what you are
using it for, who holds the copyright on the data you are scrapping, who you
ask, etc.

However scrapping is really ugly, error prone, and needs frequent updating. I
would consider these issues more important then the legal issue. Especially
as it seems likely that Google will develop a proper API in the future.
--
Brian May <br...@microcomaustralia.com.au>