Hello Alf,
hello forum (this is my first post.),

to your second question:

As I understood so far ...

I have no information about any prices so far, but considering how
Google handles Gmail and App-Engine, I would not be concerned about
that at all. Google makes it's money with advertising, not with
hosting.

Conversations are stored on the wave-server (or some thing behind it.)

Google provides a reference implementation of the "wave-server".

The server specifications are open source and you can expect that
others will implement their own wave-servers, for information that
must not leave their Intranets.

Different wave servers will have the ability to "sync" their wave-
data, with fine-grained control over what information is exchanged.
Google calls that "federation".

Take a look at:

http://www.waveprotocol.org/
http://code.google.com/p/wave-protocol/

And you might want to try, to google for:

Wave Federation Prototype Server

Best regards,
 Sascha