That's not the same as an spreadsheet with Waves attached to cells,
nor does it solve issues with other file types (e.g. a Wave client
that has the capability to write PDF files collaboratively).

It's the difference between a Google Docs Document and a Google Docs
Spreadsheet - while you can use the table feature in Google Docs
Documents, using a Spreadsheet is much more efficient.