Okay, Google Wave may be dead or dying however I don't think it's as
bleak as some may make out.

We have enough of the federation protocol and OT hammered out that it
is quite possible to build something like the Apache Foundation for
Wave. If Google wanted to come to the party with their production
server setups, it would make things so much better.

It is incredibly disappointing that Google has made this decision,
especially before investigating other options to keep development on
the tech going, but I believe it is possible to pull Wave out of the
fire, it'll just take a while.

James