Can anyone here explain what significant functionality is in the
server that you couldn't get out of XMPP? There are already two stable
and mature open source server projects out there. Google has
contributed to the openfire server and Tigase is still very active
with a new release coming out in September.

I have posted my opinions on why Google Wave died over at
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/future-of-work/google-wave-rip-40451 and
would be interested in your opinions too.