For the record, the original (pre-5256) output would have been (noting lack
of specificity of error, which was my poor usability itch, as well as the
several levels of nested logging that have been removed and other internal
cleanup per Lex's encouragement):
     [java] Compiling module com.google.gwt.sample.broken.Broken
     [java]    Scanning for additional dependencies:
file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/fabbott/My%20Documents/GWT/gwt-trunk/samples/broken/src/com/google/gwt/sample/broken/client/BrokenRpc.java
     [java]       Computing all possible rebind results for
'com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.BrokenRpcService'
     [java]          Rebinding
com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.BrokenRpcService
     [java]             Invoking <generate-with
class='com.google.gwt.user.rebind.rpc.ServiceInterfaceProxyGenerator'/>
     [java]                Generating client proxy for remote service
interface 'com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.BrokenRpcService'
     [java]                   Analyzing
'com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.BrokenRpcService' for serializable
types
     [java]                      Analyzing methods:
     [java]                         public abstract java.lang.String
getString(com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.AbstractTopInterface obj)
throws com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.BrokenRpcException
     [java]                            Parameter:
com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.AbstractTopInterface obj
     [java]
com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.AbstractTopInterface
     [java]                                  [ERROR] Type
'com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.AbstractTopInterface' was not
serializable and has no concrete serializable subtypes
     [java]    [ERROR] Errors in
'file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/fabbott/My%20Documents/GWT/gwt-trunk/samples/broken/src/com/google/gwt/sample/broken/client/BrokenRpc.java'
     [java]       [ERROR] Line 144:  Failed to resolve
'com.google.gwt.sample.broken.client.BrokenRpcService' via deferred binding
     [java]    [ERROR] Cannot proceed due to previous errors