I'll trust that RunStyleHtmlUnit itself works as advertised.

I admit I'm a little dismayed at just how many tests have to be
disabled-- especially since they imply problems with user-written test
cases of their own code.  StringTest is particularly distressing for me,
but I'm sure many of the others might distress jgw. :)

We will need to solve the deployment issue.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1001
File eclipse/user/.classpath (right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1001#newcode1
Line 1: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
I don't see any changes.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1002
File user/build.xml (right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1002#newcode1
Line 1: <project name="user" default="build" basedir=".">
Will still need to solve the deployment issue for end users using
HTMLUnit-based tests.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1004
File user/src/com/google/gwt/junit/JUnitShell.java (right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1004#newcode238
Line 238: return runStyle != null;
We're not doing any validation on the input.  It's an assertion in
RunStyleHtmlUnit, and the return value from a new op can never be null.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1004#newcode398
Line 398: private static final int TEST_BEGIN_TIMEOUT_MILLIS = 6000000;
Seems unrelated to this patch?

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1004#newcode694
Line 694: void compileForWebMode(String moduleName, String...
userAgents)
Again, this seems like a good fix, but unrelated.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1004#newcode714
Line 714: Set<Platform> bannedSet = new HashSet<Platform>();
Use an EnumSet.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809/diff/38/1004#newcode735
Line 735: return runStyle instanceof RunStyleHtmlUnit
This should not be hard coded.  The RunStyle needs to somehow specify
how it interacts with the platforms.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/54809