On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:

> Senator Blum,
>
> Do you mean "disturbing" as in
> 1) revolting,
> 2) distressing, or
> 3) disordering?
>
> It seems that mathematics has successfully survived similar notational
> issues, such as the whole X vs. X' thing.

I dislike the fact that normal ordering rules do no apply here.  For
example, you promoted the fact that version checking code doesn't have to
change, it does -- otherwise, you won't get prompted to upgrade from
2.0.0-rc1 to 2.0.0.

I would also prefer 2.0.0-ms1 rather than -m1 for better clarity and
symmetry with -rc1.

> Willing to give it a chance?

I don't feel strongly enough to fight hard for something different, but I
would prefer having a straightforward comparison do the right thing.  We can
certainly make the comparator understand the particular naming scheme, but
that doesn't do well when/if we decide to change it (as it happens, that
isn't a problem for older versions but it might be for future versions if we
change the scheme).

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google