The version update notification thing is admittedly a problem, and so it's
true we maybe would need to tweak that. Not changing code most certaily
wasn't the justification for the naming scheme I proposed (slap me the day I
let that be a reason to justify a lame approach).

Alternate proposals, naysayers?