One point I have tried injecting into the GWT community is the
importance of fluent APIs.  GWT's Java API is currently quite
cumbersome for layouts and it seems folks immediately jumped to the
conclusion that Java doesn't work and have gone the route of using XML
for layouts.  I am not against folks that want XML layouts but there
are many that feel fluent APIs in Java for layouts will be even more
productive  Even if you layout your initial UI in XML you are still
going to need to modify it dynamically in Java based on various events
- so you end up having a eye sore mix.

I put out an example of a fluent API called AxisPanel (search for it)
- its not a great implementation - but it pretty much let me layout
everything pretty quickly and changed the pace of my GWT development
drastically - especially when it came to modifying layouts with new
requirements.  Speaking for myself - I would like to see more such
APIs (and better implementations than my AxisPanel) that folks can
rely on as part of the Core GWT.

I don't think developers starting a new GWT project would adopt XML
layouts if they could fluently layout in Java right alongside the rest
of their coding (at-least thats my theory)..

Sony