On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 2:11 AM, George Georgovassilis <
g.georgovassi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression that IsSerializable had been deprecated de
> facto. John, does IsSerializable currently override the serialization
> policy or this this a proposed behavior?

It doesn't override it -- the legacy serialization policy, which is what is
used if no *.gwt.rpc file is found, allows anything marked IsSerializable to
be serialized.  Allowing Serializable is a security risk in this case, since
many classes are marked as Serializable that should not be returned, and
simply instantiating one of them might provide an attack vector if a
malicious client knew it was on the server's classpath.

IsSerializable doesn't have this problem because it is only used for GWT, so
if the developer marked it in such a way they are explicitly saying it is ok
for GWT to serialize.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google