I personally would like to see it support null, not because null is a
valid UI state but just to be consistent with all the other widgets.
As far as pectin is concerned the bindings always created before the
real value arrives so wigets are aften set to null. I've tried to
avoid wiget specific logic in the core bindings as much as possible
(it's a slippery slope to ugliness) and CheckBox is the odd one out.
As a somewhat silly thought would a marker interface be an option i.e.
perhaps something like `CheckBox implements HasValue, BarfsOnNull` so
there's at least a mechanism to find out?