Hm maybe our app isn't large enough (~150 KLOC and growing) but we found
DevMode to work pretty well in Firefox. Reloading the app is a matter of
seconds and if you restart FireFox from time to time you can workaround the
current memory leak. Of course maintaining DevMode plugins is annoying but
honestly I think we don't need a DevMode plugin for every new browser
version, especially if new browser versions are released every month. For
me it would be totally fine to have a plugin for FF15 and then for FF20 and
the next for FF25 which would reduce your maintaining work. Same for Chrome.

Also I was super exited about SDM but once it has been released I was
pretty disappointed about its performance. Our app recompiles in ~35
seconds which means its pretty useless to us (except for mobile development
where you dont have DevMode). It seems like it heavily depends on caching
and as soon as you have 3rd party GWT libs or even GWT proper features that
do not use incremental generators you really slow down SDM. Not to mention
that debugging inside the browser is really annoying compared to what you
get using any IDE.

So before you deprecate the current DevMode you should proof to everyone
that you have something new that works equally well or better than the
current DevMode. As long as you dont have that, you should not treat the
current, (for a lot of people) well working DevMode as deprecated. Nowadays
I would never say that GWT 3.0 will not have the current DevMode on board
as you simply don't know how browsers evolve and how well your ideas work
out for a new dev mode. It might be very likely that GWT 3.0 still needs
the current DevMode because there is still no viable alternative.

Side note: A few days back I tried IntelliJ's/PhpStorm's LiveEdit feature
for HTML/PHP/CSS/JS development along with its ability to connect to
Chrome/Firefox for remote JS debugging. I was really impressed and if
something like that would be possible with GWT..well..then GWT will be sexy
again. If you haven't tried it.. try it!

-- J.