Stephen:

Per Brian's comments, a javax.rebinding spec might have a hard time
> having feature-parity with GWT, because I imagine the Java8 plugins,
> like APT, only runs on .java files currently under compile, and doesn't
> re-process all of the types in .class files via .jars on the classpath.

I think so. As I know, Java 8 plugins are applied at the AST transformation
level.

> Which, AFAIK, is what John is getting to work--that a .jar (or .gwtlib)
> is basically compiled, but can have one more global rebinding pass that
> modifies its contents before GWT writes everything to disk.

Nice! I would like to know more details about what John is doing.

Well, you mentioned "jribble", so now I'm a fan of basically anything
> you say. :-)

 I'm aware of your involvement on Scala-GWT, and regret that the project is
stopped. Let me know if I can help you and the others to reanimate it!

- Andrés Testi