> Google didn't have any incentive to release GWT 10 years ago, or to
> continue maintaining it in the open source. They've always been the main
> drivers and main contributors so they could have stopped sync'ing their
> internal repository to the outside work long ago; but they did just the
> opposite 4 years ago, with the opensource repository being the source of
> truth and them sync'ing it into their internal repository (they have a few
> internal patches, such as completely removing the legacy devmode).
> You're just being pessimistic here.

I did't expect GWT 10 from Google. I understand that. But if you decide to
expose something to the market at least clearly communicate the intent once
you want to stop it. We haven't had that.

> RedHat publishes the Errai framework, and has several tools built using
> GWT (including their JBoss/Wildfly admin console if I'm not mistaken)
> RedCurrent is actively using GWT (no idea how and where), and employs (at
> least) 2 of the most productive contributors.
> ArcBees (which you didn't cite) maintains the GWT-P framework.
> There once was representatives from Sencha (Colin, then Justin), but
> they're apparently putting an halt to GXT (no new development at least),
> and the representatives have left the company.

RedHat/Errai seems to use GWT internally only, not expose it directly, but
I may be wrong.
RedCurrent - I have no idea.
ArcBees GWT-P is only about the client-side. There are many alternatives to
that.
Sencha - I actually saw that as we are using GXT too. They also communicate
vague but different picture. If GXT is truly out (and indications are that
it probably is) that only means *worse*, whether GXT is of interest to
someone or not - it means that they could not influence GWT on behalf of
its customers.

Who is there using GWT fully, exposing it downstream and not limiting it to
own codebase?

> The Closure Compiler is doing a better job at optimizing JavaScript. Even
> if it were doing a slightly worse job, using it means freeing development
> resources to work on something else.
> Closure is only a part of the whole (future) toolchain though.

I don't have a problem with Closure. That is fine. It may even be a great
idea to leverage it do Java to JavaScript (or other target) conversion. But
that too was vague and, it seems, will be a one-shot deal - to get off the
Java code. It will address the client only and not nearly as efficiently as
we know is possible.

>  Why would it necessarily require a ton of boilerplate code?
> Also, "handing all the magic in between" makes it way too easy to produce
> inefficient code in terms of network usage.

For every class that was made GWT-serializable by someone else we have to
write code to wrap it in our own/new serialization frameworks. That may not
be possible because we may not have sufficient access to their code and
data and because we may not even be aware of their code. We'd have to
introduce additional requirements to them and standard that they would have
to follow and our compatibility with what they have written already goes
down the drain. Joint customers don't have a path forward. We may not be
able to communicate our and their objects together, in single
request/responses roundtrips and may need to split them. That split
introduces inefficiency. So instead of using optimized, *efficient* code
created by everyone for this purpose, we are forced to eliminate that
efficiency and break encapsulation and write more boilerplate code that
runs slower. This is making it easier to translate code to JavaScript *but
has nothing GOOD to do with efficiency.* If something is needed, it is
needed. You can't just write it off and say that it is more efficient
without it. Without it it does not work and would need to be replaced with
something else. You think that something else will be more efficient? Think
again. You think that developer time is cheaper than tool time? I know you
don't. But this perspective may have been missed in GWT future planning.

I wonder if there is a way to identify other heavy GWT users that actually
have a vested interest in its future... The approach can be better than
anything else on the market, but the ball is being dropped. I realize it
may be too late to pick it up. Just thinking.