Lothar and Mike have made some good points.  Here are a couple of
perhaps more obscure ones:

- The RPC wire format is about as compact as you can get because it's
_not_ self-describing.  This is a plus if you're shuffling lots of
data around, but I don't know how to define "lots" for you.

- There's plans to make the deserialization of RPC responses
"asynchronous" so you don't tie up the browser thread reading large

- Using RPC is a nice way of abstracting the transmission details and
saying "I don't care" about the wire format of your requests and
to managing the evolution of a Java interface, rather than worrying
about whether or not the client and server are in sync.  It also means
that some mismatches between client and server can be caught by the
compiler.

- It _might_ be easier to re-use an RPC server-side than a JSON
server-side because the RPC-specific details are already pretty well
isolated from the business logic.

Ian